Lemongrass Shrimp Curry
In a blender, combine the chiles, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, shallot and 1/4 cup of water and puree until smooth.
In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Add the lemongrass puree and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce, tamarind, lime leaves and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the soup is flavorful and slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
Stir the lime juice into the soup and season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and simmer until slightly curled and just cooked through, about 1 minute. Ladle the soup into bowls, add the rice noodles and serve.
- 5 Thai chiles, seeded and chopped
- 4 stalks of fresh lemongrass, tender inner bulb only, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup tamarind concentrate
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound New Wave Foods Shrimp Cooked rice vermicelli or steamed rice, for serving (optional)